Sunday, February 17, 2008

shoot into the sun - superhero photo challenge


Piazza del Campo, Siena, Italy shot directly in the sun, canon digital rebel xti


This weeks superhero photo challenge over at Shutter Sisters is shooting into the sun. I have never been one to shoot directly into the sun until this fall when frankly I was left with no choice. I spent 21 glorious days in Italy this fall. Out of all the wonderful places I visited in Italy, I fell in love with Tuscany. I wanted to pack up and move, buy a villa and run my own farm producing olive oil and red wine.

I was in awe of the Piazza del Campo, the main square in Siena. It was breathtaking. It was massive in scale and the colors were fantastic. Everyday I took pictures from all angles of the clock tower and square. It rained and poured the entire time I was in Siena. I was bummed. The best photo opportunities of a lifetime and my pictures looked scary and downright frightening. There were storm clouds luming in every picture I took of the square.

The early morning of our last day, we were packing the car and the sun suddenly appeared. I ran down to the square as fast as I could to take what I hoped to be the fabulous shot I had dreamt of. I arrived at the square only to discover I would be shooting into the sun since it was so early. I decided to just let go and shoot into the sun. Besides... It gives me an excuse to go back and get that perfect shot.

No comments: